Human Services Core Courses
1. Communication Skills: Topics for student mastery include platform speaking skills, basic and advanced techniques of interpersonal communication along with identification and assessment of personal strengths and weaknesses in human relations. Students learn to and improve their ability to influence thought through oral and nonverbal forms of communication.
Reflection: This was the first class I took at NDNU. I remember being so nervous as this was my first college class in a long time. This class was a good introduction to what it would be the last of my college years and gave me the confidence to continue with other classes. In this class I learned to become more comfortable when presenting in front of people. By the end of the class I was able to present a variety of subjects to the class in a very confident and comfortable way. I believe that what I have learned in this class will help me in my future personal and professional life.
2. Professional Writing: This course emphasizes collaborative learning and writing across the disciplines by addressing writing skills in a variety of professional modes (directions, descriptions, process), forms (memos, letters, reports), and social media (twitter, blogging). Students identify and use a range of web sites to enhance their writing, which combines writing and research skills in practical assignments.
Reflection: This class taught me how to develop organize and write a ten page paper. This was the first time that I have ever written a ten page paper. When we started the class I was worried because the idea of writing such a large paper intimidated me. However, in this class we learned a very easy technique on how to break down and write a large paper. I was surprised because the class went smoothly and every week I felt like I learned something useful. I believe that the skills learned in this class will help me in the future.
3. Human Services: The goals of this course are that the students recognize and understand the variety of jobs linked to the helping professions, determine the interconnectedness involving human services organizations, identify components of human services in employee settings, and understand the role of human services in society.
Reflection: This has been one of my favorite classes at NDNU. Professor Barsi was a great instructor and a true inspiration for me because his class really solidified my decision to go back to school and also to choose Human Services as my mayor. In this class I learned a lot about myself and about the field of Human Services. I also learned a lot about how diverse Human Services is and how I can apply this degree to a lot of different fields. During the last class we went to visit a hospital and that was a great experience because it taught me that this career path truly has a lot of different directions, and that I can really make a difference by following this path.
4. Financial Management: This course introduces financial management for non-profit organizations, focusing on the key principles and terminology needed by managers. the emphasis on management, organization, financial accounting, budgeting, financial reports, and reporting cycles occurs through case studies and a final project that analyzes the fiscal status of a non-profit agency or organization.
Reflection: I was truly scared of this class as I do not like numbers and anything related to them. However, from the first class on I realized how important it was for me to learn the concepts of this class and how helpful they will be for me in the future. In this class I learned a great deal about how non-profits work financially. I also learned a tremendous amount of financial terminology and the meaning of important financial concepts. I believe this class will be pivotal when entering the work force.
5. Social Research Methods: Introduces the major techniques of social research to demystify the research process and increase competence in student’s ability to investigate ideas, concepts, and statistical data or literature. Proficiency is measured by performance in individual and collaborative group projects, individual written assignments, and a final research presentation. The main objective is to demystify the research process by encouraging the student’s ability to systematically investigate interesting ideas.
I will be taking this class in the summer
6. Ethics and Professional Responsibility: This course is designed to ensure that students understand basic concepts in the study of ethics, including the reasoning and analytical skills needed to apply ethical concepts to human decisions and understanding about how the social, economic, organizational, cultural and natural environment affect moral issues in the professions. Students should grow in their ability to identify moral issues in specific problem areas and develop effective strategies for dealing with these issues.
Reflection: I am currently taking this class and I am already fascinated by it. Professor Rende is a fantastic instructor. His class is very philosophically and intellectually driven and I really have enjoyed that. He really makes us think outside the box while explaining difficult concepts. So far we have learned a lot about business ethics as well as ancient philosophical concepts regarding moral excellence and virtue. The weekly paper has been a great way to get me to grasp the class material. I can see all of the information learn in this class being of great help not only in a professional setting but also in a personal one.
7. Human Services Senior Seminar: Class Work & Projects. To compile an educational and professional portfolio demonstrating academic and career accomplishments. To present a project proposal outlining the rationale, goals, objectives, evaluation methods along with a proposed budget and time-line for completion to an outside panel for review and evaluation. To successfully develop, manage and complete a significant project with a Human Services organization using accepted professional project management techniques.
Reflection: I am currently taking this class and have already learned so much from it. Starting with this professional portfolio that has really open my mind to think and analyze my educational journey. While working on this assignment I have learned so much about myself and what I am capable of. I have been able to look at my journey at a deep level and assess my plans for the future. I am also inspired by my senior project, organizing a DACA workshop, and I believe that the tools Dr. Madden has given us so far to complete this project will be of huge help for future employment.